thomasinaknitsheader 2

Monday, June 25, 2012

A present from Estonia

Just before Felix returned from her epic trip to Estonia I received a highly coloured card which cryptically indicated that a gift would follow. And follow it did. There will be no need for me to knit mittens this year as I am now the very proud owner of a pair of handknit Estonian mittens, dyed with natural colours.

Handknit Estonian mittens

These are so beautiful. I love the combination of colourwork and lace at the cuff and the butterfly motif, not to mention the fact that they are toasty warm.

Handknit Estonian mittens

Of course eventually they will wear out but when they do I can knit my own pair of Estonian mittens from this amazing book.

Turi mittens book

All the text is in Estonian but since the book doesn't actually contain any patterns, just photos and charts, that's not a problem.

Turi mittens book

I love the fact that Estonian mitten patterns just consist of the chart, it's assumed that everyone already knows how to knit a mitten.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Those mittens are so beautiful! What a wonderful piece of Estonia to carry with you (and wear).

My mother-in-law brought me lovely blue wool from Estonia, but I haven't turned it into anything yet.

Lynne said...

Oh my goodness! Those mittens are gorgeous!! :)

Elise said...

Ooh those mittens are gorgeous, excellent pressie! :)